James R. Paden Chair and Distinguished Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director, University Transportation Center for Underground Transportation Infrastructure (UTC-UTI)
Dr. Marte Gutierrez is the James R. Paden Distinguished Professor at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Director for University Transportation Center for Underground Transportation Infrastructure (UTC-UTI) of Colorado School of Mines (CSM). Formerly, he was Post-doctoral Fellow, Senior Engineer and Program Leader at the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, and Associate Professor/Professor at Virginia Tech. He has held visiting professorship and researcher positions in China, Chile, France, Japan, South Korea, and the UAE. He was the Founding Chair of Department of Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering, Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi, UAE. He has published more than 300 papers in book chapters, journals and conference proceedings, has given keynote and invited lectures at a number of conferences, and has been responsible for more than US$ 25 million in research funding. He is a member of the Editorial Board of five International Journals, and was Board Member and Treasurer of the US Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER). He is the recipient of the Geotechnical Research Medal from UK’s Institute of Civil Engineers, the Applied Rock Mechanics Research Award from the American Rock Mechanics Association, the Peter A. Cundall Honorable Mention Award.
- Royal Norwegian Post-doctoral Fellow, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute
- Ph.D., University of Tokyo
- MS, University of the Philippines
- Certificate in Civil Engineering, Nihon University
- Geomechanics (Constitutive Modeling, Discrete Element and Particulate Modeling, Bifurcation and Strain Localization, Poromechanics, and Laboratory Testing).
- Environmental and Energy Sustainability (Petroleum Geomechanics, CO2 Geological Sequestration, Geothermal Energy, Underground Excavations in Rocks, and Geohazards).
- Katsuki, D., Gutierrez, M. and Almrabat, A. (2019). “Stress Dependent Shear Wave Splitting and Permeability in Fractured Porous Rock.” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 11, pp. 1-11.
- Hou, Z. Gutierrez, M., Wang, A., Almrabat, A. and Yang, C. (2018). “Mechanical Properties and Brittleness of Shale with Different Degrees of Fracturing-Fluid Saturation” Current Science, vol. 115(6), 1163-1173.
- Hampton, J., Gutierrez, M., Matzar, L., Hu, D. and Frash, L. (2018), “Acoustic Emission Characterization of Microcracking in Laboratory Scale Hydraulic Fracturing Tests,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 10(5), pp. 805-817.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “High-order ADE scheme For Solving Fluid Diffusion Equations in Non-Uniform Grids and its Application in Coupled Hydro-Mechanical Simulation.” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 42(16), pp. 1976-2000.
- Li, X., Xie, Y., Xu, J. and Gutierrez, M. (2018), “A Soft-Rigid Contact Model of MPM For Granular Flow Impact on Retaining Structures,” Computational Particle Mechanics, vol. 5(2), pp. 1-9.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “Axisymmetric ADE Scheme for Efficient Coupled Simulation of Hydro−Mechanical Interaction in Geotechnical Engineering − Application to Circular Footing and Deep Tunnel in Saturated Ground,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 10, pp. 259-279.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “Effect of Transient Coupled Hydro-Mechanical Response on the Longitudinal Displacement Profile of Deep Tunnels in Saturated Ground.” Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, vol. 75, pp. 11-20.
- Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Comparison of the Rudnicki-Rice and Vermeer Bifurcation Criteria,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, vol. 132. no. 6.
- Zhang, G., Li, M. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Numerical Simulation of Proppant Distribution in Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 48, pp. 157-168.
- Zhang, G., Li, M. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Simulation of the Transport and Placement of Multi-Sized Proppant in Hydraulic Fractures Using a Coupled CFD-DEM Approach,” Advanced Powder Technology, vol. 28(7), pp. 1704–1718.
- Zhang, G., Gutierrez, M. and Li, M. (2017). “Numerical Simulation of Transport and Placement of Multi-Sized Proppants in a Hydraulic Fracture in Vertical Wells,” Granular Matter, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 19-32.
- Prassetyo, S.H., Gutierrez, M. and Barton, N. (2017). “Nonlinear Shear Behavior of Rock Joints Using a Linearized Implementation of the Barton-Bandis Model,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 9, pp. 671-682.
- Tomac, I. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Coupled Hydro-Thermo-Mechanical Modeling of Hydraulic Fracturing in Quasi-Brittle Rocks using BPM-DEM,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 92–104.
- Li, B., Chen, L. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Influence of the Intermediate Principal Stress and Principal Stress Direction on the Mechanical Behavior of Cohesionless Soils Using the Discrete Element Method,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 86, pp. 52–66.
- Zhang, G., Gutierrez, M. and Li, M. (2016), “A Coupled CFD-DEM Approach to Model Particle-Fluid Mixture Transport Between Two Parallel Plates to Improve Understanding of Proppant Micromechanics in Hydraulic Fractures,” Powder Technology, vol. 308, pp. 235–248.
- Vardakos, S., Gutierrez, M. and Xia, C. (2016), “Back-Analysis of Tunnel Response from Field Monitoring using Simulated Annealing,” Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, vol. 49, no, 12, pp 4833–4852.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2016). “Effect of Surface Loading on the Hydro-Mechanical Response of a Tunnel in Saturated Ground,” Underground Space, vol. 1, pp. 1-19.
- Gutierrez, M., Katsuki, D. and Tutuncu, A. (2015). “Determination of the Continuous Stress-Dependent Permeability, Compressibility and Poroelasticity of Shale,” Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 68, Part A, pp. 614–628.
- Gutierrez, M. and Youn, D.-J. (2015), “Effects of Fracture Distribution and Length Scale on the Equivalent Continuum Elastic Compliance of Fractured Rock Masses,” Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 626-637.
- Tomac, I. and Gutierrez, M. (2015). “Micromechanics of Proppant Agglomeration During Settling in Hydraulic Fractures,” Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, vol. 5(4, 1), 417-434.
- Tomac, I. and Gutierrez, M. (2015), “Formulation and Implementation of Coupled Forced Heat Convection and Heat Conduction in DEM,” Acta Geotechnica, vol. 10(4), pp. 421-433.
- Li, B., Zhang, F. and Gutierrez, M. (2015), “A Numerical Examination of the Hollow Cylindrical Torsional Shear Test Using DEM,” Acta Geotechnica, vol. 10(4), pp 449-467.
- Frash, L.P., Gutierrez, M., Hampton, J. and Hood, J. (2015), “Laboratory Simulation of Binary and Triple Well EGS in Large Granite Blocks Using AE Events for Drilling Guidance,” Geothermics, vol. 55, pp. 1–15.
- Frash, L.P., Gutierrez, M. and Hampton, J. (2015), “Laboratory-Scale-Model Testing of Well Stimulation by Use of Mechanical-Impulse Hydraulic Fracturing,” Society of Petroleum Engineering Journal, Paper No. SPE-173186-PA, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 536 -549.
- Katsuki, D. and Gutierrez, M. (2014). “Nanoindentation Approach Characterizing Strain Rate Sensitivity of Compressive Response of Asphalt Concrete,” Acta Geotechnica, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 887-901.
- Co-Organizer, Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) in the High North Summer School, 2016-2018
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, SUCCESS (Subsurface CO2 Storage – Critical Elements and Superior Strategy), Norway, August 2015 to September 2018
- Board Member, US Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER), January 2008 to June 2012. Treasurer, January 2010 to June 2013
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, October 2002 to December 2013
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, January 2018 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Underground Space, January 2016 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the South East Asian Geotechnical Society and Association of Geotechnical Societies in Southeast Asia, 2015 to 2018
- Member, Inaugural Editorial Advisory Panel, Géotechnique Letters, October 2010 to January 2014
- Member, Editorial Board, Frontiers in Carbon Capture, Storage, and Utilization, April 2014 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Acta Geotechnica, March 2009 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, The Open Petroleum Engineering Journal, January 2008 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Frontiers in Geosciences, January 2013 to present
- Team Leader, US Reconnaissance Survey of the February 17, 2006, Leyte, Philippines, Landslide
Honors, Awards and Recognitions
- Geotechnical Research Medal, Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), United Kingdom, 2011
- Applied Rock Mechanics Research Award, American Rock Mechanics Association, 2017
- Peter A. Cundall Honorable Mention Award, 4th Itasca Symposium on Applied Numerical Modeling, 2016
- Kwang Hua Visiting Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2009- 2010
- Guest Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2009-2012
- Visiting Researcher Award, Korea Railroad Research Institute, Uiwang, South Korea, May-June, 2010
- Heiland Lecturer, Geophysics Department, Colorado School of Mines, February 5, 2009
- James R. Paden Distinguished Chair, Colorado School of Mines, January 2009 – present
- ÉGIDE Visiting Professorship, École Nationale des Ponts et Chausses, Paris, France, March to July 2007
- Virginia Tech Faculty Fellow Award, 2006-2009
- Visiting Professorship, University of Chile, May 2004
- Royal Postdoctoral Fellowship, Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (NTNF), October 1989 to November 1991
- Senior Visiting Scholarship, National Institute for Resources and Environment (NIRE), Science and Technology Agency (STA), Tsukuba, Japan, August, 1998.
- International Fellowship, National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Canada, 1991.
- Doctoral Scholarship, Japanese Ministry of Education (Monbusho), June 1986 to September 1989
- Visiting Scholarship, Japan International Cooperation Agency, April 1984 to April 1985
- Graduate Fellowship, University of the Philippines, June 1980 to 1982