Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
My teaching and research interests primarily revolve around technologies for water and wastewater treatment, water reuse, and remediation. Particularly, I strive to use fundamental concepts to understand the behavior of large treatment systems. A large percentage of my research has been focused on potable wastewater reuse and the removal of organic contaminants from water and wastewater using advanced treatment processes. Past research projects include modeling the removal of contaminants by high-pressure membrane systems, evaluating nanofiltration as a replacement for reverse osmosis in potable reuse systems, and elucidating the cause and effects of fouling in membrane systems. I have been involved in the fabrication and evaluation of various membrane systems including ceramic and polymeric microfiltration, nanofiltration, and reverse osmosis membranes. Current research interests include advanced oxidation processes, anaerobic membrane bioreactor systems for the treatment of mixed wastes and the recovery of valuable constituents from various waste streams.
My teaching interests mirror my research activities and courses taught include aquatic chemistry, chemodynamics, hazardous waste management, physico-chemical treatment processes, and senior design. Due to my strong interest in process engineering, my overarching goal is to provide students with the knowledge required to effectively design and operate treatment systems.
- PhD Environmental Science and Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2007
- MS Environmental Science and Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2003
- BS Environmental Science, Western Washington University, 2000
- Stratton, G., Bellona, C., Dai, F., Holsen, T., Mededovic Thagard, S. (2015). Plasma-based water treatment: Conception and application of a new general principle for reactor design. Journal of Chemical Engineering, 273, 543-550.
- Shahmansouri, A., Jin, L., Min, J. and Bellona, C. (2015). Feasibility of Extracting Valuable Minerals from Desalination Concentrate: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 100, 4-16.
- Shahmansouri, A., and Bellona, C. (2015). Nanofiltration Technology in Water Treatment and Reuse: Applications and Costs. Water Science and Technology, 71, 309-319
- Shahmansouri, A., and Bellona, C. (2013). Application of Quantitative Structure-Property Relationships (QSPRs) to Predict the Rejection of Organic Solutes by Nanofiltration. Separation and Purification Technology, 118: 627-638.
- Appleman, T. D., Dickenson, E. R. V., Bellona, C., and Higgins, C. P. (2013). Nanofiltration and Granular Activated Carbon Treatment of Perfluoroalkyl Acids. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 260: 627 – 638.
- Bellona, C., Heil, D., Yu, C., Fu, P., and Drewes, J. E. (2012). The Pros and Cons of Using Nanofiltration in Lieu of Reverse Osmosis for Indirect Potable Reuse Applications. Separation and Purification Technology, 85: 69 – 76.
- Hancock, N. T., Xu, P., Heil, D. M., Bellona, C., and Cath, T. Y. (2011). A Comprehensive Bench- and Pilot-Scale Investigation of Trace Organic Compound Rejection by Forward Osmosis. Environmental Science and Technology, 45: 8483 – 8490.
- Bellona, C., Marts, M., and Drewes, J. E. (2010). The effect of organic membrane fouling on the properties and rejection characteristics of nanofiltration membranes. Separation and Purification Technology, 74, 44-54.
- Xu, P., Bellona, C., and Drewes, J. E. (2010). Fouling of nanofiltration and reverse osmosis membranes during municipal wastewater reclamation: Membrane autopsy results from pilot-scale investigations. Journal of Membrane Science, 353, 111-121.
- Bellona, C., Drewes, J. E., Oelker, G., Luna, J., Filteau, G., and Amy, G. (2008). Comparing reverse osmosis and nanofiltration for water reclamation. JAWWA, 100(9), 102-116.
- Bellona, C., and Drewes, J. E., 2005. The role of physico-chemical properties of membranes and solutes in the rejection of organic acids by nanofiltration membranes. Journal of Membrane Science, 249, 227-234.
- Bellona, C., Drewes, J. E., Xu, P., and Amy, G. 2004. Factors affecting the rejection of organic solutes during NF/RO treatment – a literature review. Water Research, 38, 2795-2809.