Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Shiling Pei received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University in December 2007 and joined the faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado School of Mines in Fall 2013. Before that, he worked as an Assistant Professor at South Dakota State University from 2010 to 2013. His research focused on traditional and innovative timber systems, multi-hazard mitigation through performance based engineering, numerical modeling of structural dynamic behavior, and large-scale dynamic testing. Dr. Pei received the 2012 ASCE Raymond C. Reese Research Prize for his work on seismic performance of mid-rise wood frame building. He is the author of the Seismic Analysis Package for Woodframe Structures (SAPWood) as part of the NSF (NEESR) funded NEESWood project, and served as one of the lead researchers in shake table testing of a full-scale 7-story wood-steel hybrid building at Japan’s E-defense shake table. Dr. Pei is an expert on wood building performance in post-hazard reconnaissance studies, including the 2011 Tuscaloosa and Joplin tornados and 2018 Hurricane Irma. He is currently leading an NSF funded six-university collaborative research project to introduce resilient tall cross laminated timber (CLT) buildings to the U.S., aiming at testing a 10-story full-scale wood building at NHERI@UCSD shake table. Dr. Pei currently serves as the Chair of the ASCE Wood Technical Administrative Committee overseeing four wood engineering related committees. He also serves as Associate Editor for ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering and ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering. He is a registered Professional Engineer (Civil) in the State of California.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Colorado State University, December, 2007.
- BS, Civil Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University, China, June, 2000.
- Hazard mitigation and resilient infrastructure system
- Traditional and innovative timber systems
- Large scale dynamic testing and monitoring
- Performance-based engineering
Honors and Awards
- Raymond C. Reese Research Prize, ASCE, 2012.
- EXCEED (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) Teaching Fellowship, ASCE, 2012.
- Outstanding Reviewer for ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 2012.
- Deng, P., Pei, S., van de Lindt, J., & Zhang, C. (2017). Uncertainty quantification for seismic responses of bilinear SDOF systems: A semi-closed-form estimation. Soil Dynamics And Earthquake Engineering, 93, 18-28. doi: 10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.11.016
- Jin, Z., Li, G., Pei, S., & Liu, H. (2017). Vehicle-induced random vibration of railway bridges: a spectral approach. International Journal Of Rail Transportation, 5(4), 191-212. doi: 10.1080/23248378.2017.1338538
- Khavari, A., Pei, S., & Tabares-Velasco, P. (2016). Energy Consumption Analysis of Multistory Cross-Laminated Timber Residential Buildings: A Comparative Study. Journal Of Architectural Engineering, 22(2), 04016002. doi: 10.1061/(asce)ae.1943-5568.0000206
- Pei, S., & van de Lindt, J. (2009). Methodology for earthquake-induced loss estimation: An application to woodframe buildings. Structural Safety, 31(1), 31-42. doi: 10.1016/j.strusafe.2007.12.002
- Pei, S., van de Lindt, J., & Popovski, M. (2013). Approximate R-Factor for Cross-Laminated Timber Walls in Multistory Buildings. Journal Of Architectural Engineering, 19(4), 245-255. doi: 10.1061/(asce)ae.1943-5568.0000117
- Pei, S., van de Lindt, J., Popovski, M., Berman, J., Dolan, J., & Ricles, J. et al. (2016). Cross-Laminated Timber for Seismic Regions: Progress and Challenges for Research and Implementation. Journal Of Structural Engineering, 142(4), E2514001. doi: 10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0001192
- Pei, S., van de Lindt, J., Wehbe, N., & Liu, H. (2013). Experimental Study of Collapse Limits for Wood Frame Shear Walls. Journal Of Structural Engineering, 139(9), 1489-1497. doi: 10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0000730
- van de Lindt, J., Pei, S., Dao, T., Graettinger, A., Prevatt, D., Gupta, R., & Coulbourne, W. (2013). Dual-Objective-Based Tornado Design Philosophy. Journal Of Structural Engineering, 139(2), 251-263. doi: 10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0000622
- van de Lindt, J., Pei, S., Pryor, S., Shimizu, H., & Isoda, H. (2010). Experimental Seismic Response of a Full-Scale Six-Story Light-Frame Wood Building. Journal Of Structural Engineering, 136(10), 1262-1272. doi: 10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0000222
- Pinelli, Jean-Paul; Roueche, David; Kijewski-Correa, Tracy; Plaz, Fernando; Prevatt, David; Zisis, Ioannis; Elawady, Amal; Haan, Fred; Pei, Shiling; Gurley, Kurt. (2018). Overview of damage observed in regional construction during the passage of Hurricane Irma over the state of Florida. Proc., ASCE Forensic, 18.