ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
Dr. Yangming Shi is an Assistant Professor in Civil & Environmental Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines. His research focuses on developing data-driven solutions to improve human performance and augment human capabilities for future design, construction, and engineering process. His research interests lie in Virtual Reality (VR)/Augmented Reality (AR), Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (AI), construction automation, construction informatics, disaster visualization, and Human Factors Engineering.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Florida, 2020
- M.S., Construction, Texas A&M University, 2014
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Ningbo University, 2011
- Chen, J., Li, N., Shi, Y., & Du, J. (2023). Cross-cultural assessment of the effect of spatial information on firefighters’ wayfinding performance: A virtual reality-based study. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 84, 103486.
- Liu, J., Xu, N., Shi, Y., Barnett, T., & Jones, S. (2023). Are first responders prepared for electric vehicle fires? A national survey. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 179, 106903.
- Ye, Y., Shi, Y., Srinivasan, D., & Du, J. (2022). Sensation transfer for immersive exoskeleton motor training: Implications of haptics and viewpoints. Automation in Construction, 141, 104411.
- Shi, Y., Johnson, C., Xia, P., Kang, J., Tyagi, O., Mehta, R. K., & Du, J. (2022). Neural Basis Analysis of Firefighters’ Wayfinding Performance via Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 36(4), 04022016.
- Shi, Y., Kang, J., Xia, P., Tyagi, O., Mehta, R., & Du, J. (2021). “Spatial Knowledge and Firefighters’ Wayfinding Performance: A Virtual Reality Search and Rescue Experiment.” Elsevier Journal of Safety Science, 105231.
- Shi, Y., Zhu, Y., Mehta, R., & Du, J. (2020). “A Neurophysiological Approach to Assess Training Outcome Under Stress: A Virtual Reality Experiment of Industrial Shutdown Maintenance Using Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS).” Elsevier Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, 46, 101153.
- Shi, Y., Du, J., & Worthy, D. (2020). “The Impact of Engineering Information Formats on Learning and Execution of Construction Operations: A Virtual Reality Pipe Maintenance Experiment.” Elsevier Journal of Automation in in Construction, 119,103367.
- Shi, Y., Du, J., & Ragan, E. (2020). “Review Visual Attention and Spatial Memory in Building Inspection: Toward a Cognition-driven Information System.” Elsevier Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, 44, 101061.
- Shi, Y., Du, J., & Ahn, C. R., & Ragan, E. (2019). The Impact Assessment of Reinforced Learning Methods on Construction Workers’ Fall Risk Behaviors Using Virtual Reality. Elsevier Journal of Automation in Construction, 104, 197-214.
HONORS, AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Best Proposal Award, 2022 Association for Educational Communications & Technology (AECT) International Convention
- Outstanding Reviewer, 38th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC 2021)
- Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Construction Research Congress, 2020
- Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 2019